Sunday, September 5, 2010

Alright, well the cylinder block was harder to remove than what I thought it would be.  First I removed the cam chain guide, and the cam chain adjuster lock nut and the bolt beneath that, then turned the engine some to line up all the pistons and tried to lift the cylinder block off of the studs.

  Eventually I was able to remove it, it took some penetrating oil and a small screwdriver and a rubber mallet. 

After removing the cylinder head, I started to remove the pistons by removing the innermost or outermost circlip (whichever was easiest to get to) and then pushing out each gudgeon pin using a small flat-head screwdriver.  I lined the pistons up in order and attempted to remove the two piston rings and the three-piece oil control ring that is on each piston.  That was going well until I got to piston 3, where I snapped the 2nd ring, due to my impatience (looks like I have just incurred my first cost other than new gaskets).  There are some pictures here, any suggestions for how everything looks as far as ware goes?  Should I replace all of the rings?
piston 1 (above), Piston 2-4 sequentially below

here you can see the broken 2nd piston ring on piston #3

No comments:

Post a Comment